Resources for Your Family:
- American Heritage Girls – AHG is seen as a Christ-centered alternative to Girl Scouts.
- Dad Matters blog (Focus on the Family) – “Dad Matters was started to encourage every dad, step-dad and father figure on his journey, no matter his age or stage or life situation. We, the bloggers on Dad Matters, are dads like you … committed to doing things well, but struggling at times with what that looks like.”
- Ethics and Religious Liberty Commission – 12 Observations After Reading ‘The Porn Phenomenon‘” – How would you define “pornography?” Why do people choose to access pornography? What affect do you think pornography has on you personally? On your church? On your country? These were the kinds of questions that drove Josh McDowell to partner with the Barna Research group to survey “nearly 3,000 U.S. teens, adults and Protestant youth and senior pastors about their perceptions . . . use . . . and feelings about . . . pornography.” The summary of their findings was published in a 150-page study called The Porn Phenomenon.
- Family Facts – “Provides data on family and religious practice and analysis of their role in maintaining civil society in America. Charts, Briefs, Reports, and Videos are organized in eight major topics, from Marriage & Family to Economic Well-Being to Community Involvement. User-friendly charts provide a quick reference for some of the most important data trends in America today.”
- Family Talk (Dr. James Dobson) – “We are designed by a loving Creator for relationship with God our Father, and with one another. The institution of the family serves as the basis for developing those relationships and contributing to a strong society.”
- Family Prosperity Index – The Family Prosperity Index (FPI) provides federal, state, and local policymakers—as well as civic leaders and community-minded citizens—the roadmap needed for the development of economic and social policies that improve the well-being and prosperity of American families and the communities in which they live.
- Gambling Addiction (Focus on the Family) – “Gambling is a vice industry built on deception and fed by the intentional exploitation of human weakness for the sole purpose of monetary gain.”
- Gateways to Better Education – “We envision public schools as places where students feel the freedom to express their faith and where they gain an academic appreciation for the Bible and Christianity across the whole curriculum as it relates to history, culture, and values. We show educators how to do this legally and appropriately within existing constitutional boundaries and in keeping with current laws and state standards.”
- Gospel Coalition “How to Talk to Your Kids About Gender” (4.2016)
- Marriage and Family (Family Research Council) – “Our vision is a culture in which human life is valued, families flourish, and religious liberty thrives.”
- Morality in Media: Porn Harms – “The leading national organization opposing pornography and indecency through public education and the application of the law.”
- Plugged In Entertainment Reviews (Focus on the Family) – “Good media discernment is about guarding our eyes and hearts before we watch or listen. And it’s also about grappling with the entertainment we do see or hear. That’s why the Plugged In Blog is devoted to guarding.”
- Pornography Addiction (Family Research Council) – “Pornography is one of the great scourges of our time, and is hurting people in the pews of churches in every denomination. Its dangers are well documented, and one need not look beyond the doors of his own church to see the brokenness pornography leaves in its wake.”
- Talking To Your Kids About Transgender Issues (Focus on the Family) – Transgenderism – also called “gender dysphoria,” “gender confusion” or “gender identity disorder” – is tough enough for adults to understand. So when our children encounter these gender-confusing messages, what do we say? Most importantly, how do we help them develop a biblical, Christian perspective on this issue?
- The Truth Project – “The Truth Project is a DVD-based small group curriculum comprised of 13 one-hour lessons taught by Dr. Del Tackett. This home study is the starting point for looking at life from a biblical perspective. Each lesson discusses in great detail the relevance and importance of living the Christian worldview in daily life.”
- Thriving Family (Focus on the Family) – “Thriving Family helps families thrive in Christ, offering reliable and time-tested solutions, practical advice and sensible marriage and parenting guidance.”
- Thriving Values (Focus on the Family ) – “With the demands and fast pace of life, few people have time to research current social issues – much less to know how to respond.”
- Transgender Movement, Understanding and Responding to the (Family Research Council) – No one—lawmakers, counselors, pastors, teachers, or medical professionals—should participate in or reinforce the transgender movement’s distortions about sexuality, nor should they be required by the government to support such distortions. Misguided attempts to change human design will cost those seeking transgender recognition for themselves and society at large dearly, not simply in the public dollars required to remove or mimic healthy reproductive body parts but in the emotional, cognitive, social, and cultural burdens it places on dissenters from the politically correct orthodoxy, who are now pressured or shamed into lying about human dignity and identity. We believe that governments should not recognize any change in sexual identity from that identified at birth (with the exception of the rare cases in which a biological disorder of sexual development can be diagnosed), and the law should not force any private entities to grant such recognition.
- Trail Life USA – Trail Life USA is a Christian adventure, character, and leadership program for young men. The K-12 program centers on outdoor experiences that build a young man’s skills and allow him to grow on a personal level and as a role model and leader for his peers.
- Wisconsin Family Prosperity Index: The Family Prosperity Index, or FPI, assesses the degree to which a state creates an environment for families to thrive. Specifically, the FPI comprehensively measures the economic and social factors that contribute to family prosperity, filling in the gaps around measures such as Gross Domestic Product (GDP), which only considers economic variables. A state that scores high on the FPI is one that is moving toward the goal of facilitating family prosperity, whereas a state that scores low is moving in the opposite direction. Where does Wisconsin stand?
Read-Aloud Resources for Your Family
Christian Book List
Disclaimer: links to sites not controlled by Wisconsin Family Council do not necessarily imply our endorsement or recommendation of the organization. Parents should exercise judgment about what is best for their family. There are undoubtedly a number of other good resources.